Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Want to give your kid some Street-Cred? Dress them in Appaman!

You may already be familiar with Appaman. Known best for their super hip kid silhouettes and trademark monkey logo, this line has become a huge hit among my friends and celebrity parents as well. You may have seen the photo of Gwyneth's son Moses in their black puffer jacket from last season (so cute!)

photo courtesy of people.com


 My friend Casey introduced me to the line and I instantly fell in love. FOR ONCE there was something for boys that wasn't just trademark blue and brown, and something other than a drawstring sweatpant. I love their tees too, the prints are innovative and fun! They also have a fabulous girls and babies line too, that is not to be missed!

Lynn Husum, Co-Founder of Appaman was gracious enough to do a little interview with moi for you all...I  love her story, it's really an inspiration. Here goes...


How did Appaman go from an "idea" to reality? Tell us a little bit about how you got started... 
 My husband and I were joking about putting adult imagery on pint size tees. This was 7 years ago so at the time it seemed innovative, now obviously everyone has caught on.  He started dying tees in our washing machine in our 600 sq. foot apt. in Brooklyn. We hit the pavement with them and went to every cool kid store in NYC and a few picked them up. Many of those first accounts are still customers. It felt organic how it grew but there were strong elements of luck, passion, talent and ambition.


Did you have a background in clothing design?  
No I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and Harald was an Art Director for a magazine.


What has been your biggest challenge as a children's clothing designer?  
For us the challenge was in the fit. The designs have always come naturally. We live in an incredible city with inspiration around every corner so that is the fun part. Getting the fit right was hard in the beginning. Dealing with kids is difficult considering all the body shapes out there. The diaper dilemma is always a big conundrum but eventually we put together a great team to figure this out.


any words of wisdom for other future entrepreneurs? Go for it!! 
Don't get bogged down by business plans and mission statements. Roll up your sleeves and get out there.


You guys use some of the cutest, most unique graphics on your items, are they vintage or your own creations? 
 All of our designs are done by Harald, my husband. We have done two collaboration collections but those have only been two or three pieces. Harald is a foreigner in a foreign land and I think the way he looks at life brings true inspiration to the collection. He also has fun with little hidden secrets to family members and friends in the collections. Everything is intentional.


What are your 3 favorite items from your line this season?  
Our fall 09 collection is my favorite to date. My favorite pieces are for boys the british biker jacket and the avone collection and for girls the diamond dress and the canary vest. I think they are fun, chic and very age appropriate.


Any thing you can tell us about Spring 2010 in kidswear?  
The only thing I know about Spring 2010 is what we are doing. It is a great collection with the softest fabrications and great new graphics. We have some really fun new pull on camp shorts for boy in a french terry and some great vintage inspired track shorts for girls. We are also offering a maxi dress due to the begging of my daughters and their friends.

I don't know about you all, but I am dying for that british biker coat...AND, I love that they are doing a french terry short for spring!!! for stores that carry the line, click HERE






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails