Tuesday, May 4, 2010

There's an App for that...

I might be up on fashion, but technology not so much. I like to wait until the newest technology works out the kinks before I purchase. When it came to the iphone, I was kind of apprehensive. Would I like the touch screen? Is the size and shape annoying? But all I can say is that I am in complete bliss now that I own this phone. It is like my own tiny personal computer.

Besides having Facebook, Twitter, and my email all right in the palm of my hand, I also have downloaded some pretty sweet applications. The ones that have been used the most are the apps geared towards children. I know there is a lot of debate around this subject; should our kids be playing with our cell phones? Well, I can say that we don't do it all the time, it's just good in a pinch if we need a moment of quiet time. I also am really impressed with some of the learning tools that they have available.

I have a few favorites that I thought I would share with you all, in case you want to download them too.





The most entertaining (even for me!) and probably the cutest are the interactive songs by Duck Duck Moose. So far we have downloaded Itsy Bitsy Spider and The Wheels on the bus. Both have someone singing (which is a bit nauseating) but you and your child can touch the screen to interact with the song. Like making the wheels move, or opening and closing the door on the bus. My son loves making the spider go up and down the spout, and having the little girl in the video splash in the puddle. The images are darling, and definitely a crowd pleaser.



We also love connect the dots by Touch Screen preschool games.com. Using a sequence of letters or numbers (they switch it up) you have to connect the dots and then it shows the image, which also includes sounds! It's very cool, and I can tell my son likes to figure out what the image is going to be.

Learning numbers, colors, and sounds is really fun with this app by Preschool Adventure. It has great vibrant images, and sounds that will definitely keep your little one engaged.





My personal favorite are the flash cards by itots.  They have flash cards for everything from numbers to colors, animals, things, and alphabet. My son absolutely loves the "things" category, in which when you tap the card, they say the name of the item and he repeats after them. As simple as it sounds, it is a great way to expand their vocabulary. You can also change it so that the sounds are spoken in french, spanish or english. It's genius!

Who knew a phone could be so functional...and fun?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails