Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Super(model) Mom: Meet Mollie

It's been a while since I have done one of these features! I am so glad to have my dear friend and one inspiring lady, Mollie as our Super Model Mom today.



Mollie and I met back in 2001 when we were both working at Mark Shale on Michigan Avenue. I had started just a few weeks before her, and had the pleasure of training her in on our staff. Both of us were young, eager and excited about our new endeavor and working in the world of fashion. We immediately bonded over the mutual love for Brittany Spears...and you better believe that we both stalked her one afternoon when she was shopping at Anthropologie in the gold coast. Which is still one of my favorite celeb sightings to date :)


Mollie and her husband left Chicago to go work for Shopbop.com. I was so sad to see her leave, but how could I be upset? She landed THE dream job as a buyer for Bop (the storefront behind shopbop.com). Even though we were in different cities, we were always able to meet in NYC during buying trips and enjoy dinner and drinks together! And now, I happen to be living in Mollie's hometown of KC, so I get to see her on her visits home! It's been so fun to see our children grow up and play together. Her kids are GORGEOUS, as you can see.

Many moves and a few jobs later, Mollie and her family are now back in the Chicago area. Mollie juggles a role of Mom, Wife and now Co-Owner of Style Spies (the company I now work for)! Mollie helps style and wardrobe the women of Chicago and the North Shore.




Mollie is a go-getter and is probably one of the hardest working women I know. She is extremely funny, an incredible mom and of course her style is impeccable. She mixes up her wardrobe with classics from J.Crew with edgier items like Alexander Wang. She always accessorizes perfectly with layers of Gorjana baubles and she has quite the shoe and handbag collection. If you want a peek into her closet, click HERE.


Mollie shares with us what inspires her personal style...

1) What is your daily "uniform" 

 For fall, you will most likely find me in a pair of skinny jeans (my favorites being DL1961), a tank top, a long boyfriend style cardigan, and flats.  If I'm doing more than the preschool run, I'll throw a skinny belt over the cardi to make it a little more polished!  My arm is always loaded with a combination of bracelets (Gorjana's leather wraps + my 'Griffin' simple silver bangle + my grammie's diamond bracelet given to me after she passed).  I also typically layer a couple of necklaces too – my G initial necklace paired with a pendant works well with the cardigan/tank top combo.

2) What/Who inspires your personal style the most?   

Originally, I think my Grammie (mentioned above) influenced my style the most.  She was always dressed up, whether going to the grocery store or out to dinner.  She loved a designer handbag and a great pair of shoes (her favorites were Ferragamo), and her favorite place to shop (in her later years) was St John.  She taught me two important things that I now tell my clients:  the value of spending on nice shoes and handbags and then saving elsewhere on your wardrobe, and how important it is to look nice when you walk out of the house.  It's not about impressing everyone else, it's about respecting yourself enough to take a moment and swipe on mascara and take off your sweaty gym clothes before you run an errand.  

3) Whose celeb closet would you like to raid?   

Oooh that's a toughie.  I think it would be Katie Holmes.  She does dressed 'up' and dressed 'down' really well, and never looks like she's trying too hard.  For the same reasons, Gwyneth Paltrow.  She's. Just. Fab. Can I have two?  

4) What item in your closet do you treasure the most? 

 That's gotta be my first Louis Vuitton handbag.  My husband surprised me with it a few years ago, and I break it out every summer.  It's a limited edition Perforated Speedy 30……..the inside is a gorgeous green suede and it has a little green trim on the outer pockets.  I LOVE it and still get compliments almost daily.  Good job honey!

5) What trend are you most looking forward to this season?   

As a lover of flats, I am excited to try out some cap toe flats.  I have my eye on a few pairs….especially loving this sigerson morrison black and silver pair.  It has a hint of a smoking flat, but is still a ballet flat with the cap toe.  
6) What are your top 3 budget buys?
 1.  Tank tops - my favorite are the Gap Ribbed Tanks.  They retail at 16.95 but are rarely full price.  I like to have at least 2 white and 2 black on hand, along with army green, navy and grey in terms of best colors.  2.  Blouses – surprisingly, I find that you don't have to spend a lot of money to find a great looking blouse.  Favorites are ones from Old Navy, Forever 21, and H&M.  3.  Costume jewelry & belts -   I love scouring Forever 21 for cheap great jewelry, as well as belts!  I got 3 belts there last spring for a total of $4.80!  I remember the exact total b/c it was so ridiculous!!!!  

7) If money was no object, what would you splurge on right now? 

 This one's easy.  I would love to stock myself up on Christian Louboutins – specifically, patent nude and patent black closed toe platform pumps.  Someday…….

8) What do you most look forward to handing down to your daughter?   
Oh my…….so much!  Definitely my designer handbag collection.  I hope to raise her to appreciate a great bag, but also to remember that you have to work for something like that.  

9) What is your biggest fashion mistake?   
There have been so many!  The trendy girl that I was (am), the late 80's and early 90's had me in huge flannel shirts, mom-ish Gap jeans and big big bangs.  My poor mother, I can't imagine what she was thinking as I left the house!  My freshman year in college I remember in particular wearing a brutal brown corduroy vest from Harolds out to a fraternity party.  It's immortalized in party pics……hilarous.  

10) What are your top 3 favorite style blogs to read?  

  image via
Aside from YourStyleScout (which will always remain my inspiration to getting into this whole blogging business!), I love the Glitter Guide, Cupcakes and Cashmere, GOOP (not really a style blog, but mostly b/c I love GP and feel like we have a personal relationship, ha), and Beauty Bets.

Thanks Mollie for sharing your fashion inspiration with us! If you live in the Chicago area and need a closet clean out or styling help, email her at mollie@stylespies.com or visit her blog Mascara Meets Matchbox.  

5 comments:

  1. Melanie thank you so much for this wonderful post! Your compliments made my day (and week!). Wish we could watch Britney together on X Factor this season.....hahahaha....and maybe learn some dance moves together too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Mollie! And I don't know what she's talking about...always a fashion plate in college!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWW, love it! Big hugs to you both -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post :) We are definitely fans of Mollie's personal style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great read, thanks for writing this

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails